View Single Post
Old 06-19-09, 03:53 PM
mikeladams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mom bought me a used S10-S sometime around 1990 when I was in college, and it was the first "good" bike I ever owned. I rode the heck out of it, never overhauled it. I basically rode it into the ground, bought a new bike, and let the S10-S rust away in the damp basement for more than a decade.

Recently I decided to completely overhaul the bike as a learning project, so that I can better care for my newer bikes. I am almost done reviving my Fuji steed, I feel like I brought something very special back from the dead, and now I am totally in love with this bike. I got a lot of attention dragging that old frame around to the various bike shops looking for parts, including several offers to buy it. I'd say the S10-S is well respected by a certain class of bike mechanic.

I'm curious about the serial number, which is 77A92097. I am assuming the first two mean it's a model 1977, but does that mean it was made in 1977? What do the other numbers and letters signify? EDIT: Nevermind, found it in this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-455443.html

I installed a brand new freewheel because several teeth broke off the 30 tooth cog of the Maeda Industries freewheel that I found on this bike, but the old freewheel is still much better than the brand new replacement in every other way. Are there still freewheel cogs available for this type of freewheel? It's amazing how well put together some of this older stuff was. EDIT: Answered my own question again, lol. Cogs are $20 each (yikes!!!) at yellowjersey dot org.

Last edited by mikeladams; 06-19-09 at 04:58 PM.