Old 06-20-09, 08:12 PM
NewOnthePedals

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Biking & Struggling (fatique, etc)

Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums and wanted to jump right in and get some feedback from those of you more experienced than I.

I have led a very (very) sedentary life. I was not active as a child and have certainly not been active as an adult. In fact, I spent most of 2008 in a basement not moving off my computer chair for days at a time. I realized that my lifestyle was not good and have made some major changes in my life. Got divorced, found someone new, changed my eating habits completely... and started daily exercise.

I have a hip injury which has limited me, but it's finally getting stronger. My new husband and I try to walk for 45 minutes to an hour several times a week and then we alternate with bike rides. I've now been at it consistently for three months. My pulse is lower, my blood pressure is lower, my weight has dropped and my legs are more toned than they have been in probably a dozen years.

The problem is, I feel like I'm struggling all the time. Sometimes I get on my bike and my legs instantly feel fatigued. Going up hill in 2nd gear still makes me pant and my legs get very sore and crampy. My recovery time now is much better. Three months ago it'd take me nearly an hour to get my heart rate and pulse down, now, after a brief rest I'm ready to go again.

But, I still can't go long in higher gears, sometimes my legs feel super fatigued and I just feel like I'm not making the progress I should be? In three months... shouldn't my legs not get as fatigued any more? Should I push myself for longer distances or keep them small? We walk from 2 to 3 miles when we walk and we bike around 5 miles or so when we do....

I just now feel like my cardio can handle longer lengths, but any major up hills and I'm just dying. Any advice for me? SHould I be adding any vitamins... should I bike longer and harder?

What advice might you have for someone who really is training their body just to work properly?

Thank you all, very much, for your time and attention.

Cheers!