Old 06-22-09, 02:47 PM
TrekJapan
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: Trek FX2, Trek Verve 3, Dahon Launch D8, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
Bizarre Bike Family Story - Bike Gods Smile On My Family

A while back my daughter (10) entered a contest at the local Army Air Force Exchange here in Okinawa. What she thought was the grand prize was a shiny pink beach cruiser bike. A cheap bike, but to a 10 year old girl a shiny pink bike she can get for nothing.

Well, she won the contest drawing all right only instead of winning the bike she won a Charbroil Gas Grill.

So I take the gas grill and advertise it on a local American web site here in Okinawa and have had no takers in several weeks.

Couple days ago I see an ad in the same classifieds that basically says.

"Our daughter won a bike in an exchange drawing and the bike is too big for her. For sale"

So I email these people and tell them my kid entered the contest and won the gas grill and asked them if they wanted to trade. Their response this morning is that they'd love to trade.

So they're getting the better end of this deal however it is my daughters gas grill and I asked her what she wanted to do, hold out for a couple extra bucks or swap for the bike. She wants the bike.

She has a bike that's way cooler but my wife has laid claim to the beach cruiser which is a blessing because I've been dying for my wife to start riding a bike, even if it's not with me and is with my daughter.

This is just one of those weird circumstances that worked out. Yes I could sell the grill for more than the bike (maybe, it hasn't been working well so far) but in the end the kid gets what she intended to get and that's worth more than a few extra bucks for me.

Even better is my wife might get out and ride some.

John