Old 06-23-09, 10:01 AM
jboyd

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the usual bugdejour from time to time, but I had one experience a couple years ago that will stick in my mind forever. This was not on a bike, but applies to the "inhaled" question.

I was on a whitewater river in North Carolina. My paddling partner (she was better than me) had just dropped into a micro-eddy that sat just above a waterfall with a huge boat sucking hole just below the drop. She exited out and ferried across and above the fall to the other side of the river. It was my turn and I was being cocky and got window-shaded and ended up out of my boat, but made it into the eddy before going over the fall.

Now come sthe "inhale" part. The bank was straight up rock wall and there was no way to climb out and re-enter the boat. My only choice was to reach up and grab some limbs that were hanging over and use them to pull up enough to get back into the boat, re-skirt and go. But, when I reached up and pulled on the limbs, some sort of white dusty pollin/mold thing shook off and I inhaled it. I started throwing up violently. After I recovered, I tried it again. Same thing. Again, same thing, except now my energy was so drained that I could not move. The water was about 50 degrees and I was in trouble. There were several people across the river watching in horror. Not at the prospect of me washing into the hole, but I don't think anyone had ever seen anybody throw up that much.

I finally let my boat go and threw my paddle down stream for someone else to retrieve. I signaled for a rope and I swam out of the eddy with what little strength I had. Just before I went over the ledge, I was hit with a throw bag and I caught it. I went into the hole, but was able to be towed out before recirculation.

I to this day have no idea what that dust was. This was one of many things that have reminded me that I am not bullet proof.