View Single Post
Old 06-23-09, 01:24 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebox
I'm a bit north of Detroit, and the burbs aren't too bike friendly. Luckily i only commute 10m round trip. However being near the 16 mile Metro Trail, I plan to do plenty of solo rides and can easily do 20 miles on multi-use trails and light traffic roads. I have lived here long enough to know suburb streets like the back of my hand. All the criss-cross streets are typically 45 or 50mph with a noticeable lack of shoulders, and as a new cyclist i plan on working up to that, not jumping in headlong. As far as Michigan winter goes, this ought to be an experience! Hopefully by first snow i'll be in Portland OR where i need to be for school. This plan to go car-less is quite an investment financially and socially. What is the consensus on riding the same bike year round, maintenance costs are likely to be much higher. What about the durability of modern bikes in the elements. Things like brake pads, tires, tubes, wheels, spokes, though a pain in the ass is something i plan to prepare for by having multiple sets on the wall for the ever changing Michigan weather. What about some titanium studs for winter on this bike, overkill or nice to have as second set?
Hi noisebox and welcome to the Forums.

I'm a Detroit native and currently a year round commuter and occasional centurian in Boston. When I visit the family, most of my riding is in Macomb County around Fraser and environs, including the Metro Trail, with some forays into Oakland County. Occasionally I have transported the bike to Stony Creek or Kensington. I agree that the burbs in Macomb County, while perhaps not bike-friendly, are certainly not bike-convenient. Several Detroit area cyclists recommend the half mile roads for east-west riding, and I have often relegated myself to the sidewalks, though they are often discontinuous.

I have a nice Bridgestone RB-1 Road Bike that I only use on completely dry roads, and a beater Cannondale Mountain Bike for wet weather riding, including winter snow and slush. This was the first year I have used studded tires and I heartily endorse them. The Winter Cycling Forum is pretty dormant now but will pick up in the fall. There was a lot of advice to get your studded tires early.