Old 06-24-09, 08:05 PM
Rushfan

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VaultGuru
We are going to ride the Seattle to Portland ride for the first time this year. STP has two options. Either do it in one day or two days. We are doing it in a day. Anybody else planning in riding it? I guess last year it was hot for the PNW - 90+. Those of us that ae used to the heat in the central valley should be fine. Can't believe how big this ride is. 10,000 riders total and 2500 one day riders. We are going to be first out of the gate at 04:45 hoping that most of the one-day riders are mostly experienced riders. We are riding our tandem, so should be moving pretty fast.

Any insights from those of you that have done it before?
I've done it both one day and two day. Not very much climbing, beautiful scenery until you get to Oregon, food is disappointing at most stops. Lots and lots of folks who have never ridden an organized ride before, so beware of sketchy riders, especially in the first 25 miles. Starting at 4:45 didn't make a difference for us-I was almost taken out on mile 8 when an idiot went too hot down a downhill sweeper. Best part of the ride for me is the ten miles before Centralia-beautiful area-and the hill/downhill near Vader. Also, it was really weird for me to be riding in July with green all around instead of brown...

I last rode it in 2006 when temperatures were in the 70s-80s. I was fine but my friend from Seattle melted. The two day ride I did in 2004 was more social but lots more sketchy riders than the one day. Not sure if I'll do the two day again without special motivation (my son joining me or something like that). Have a good time.