Old 06-25-09, 02:25 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil G.
A 10-watt panel can put out 0.5 amps in good sunlight, which will fully charge an EEE's battery in about 10 hours. That means you probably won't be able to drain the battery each and every night, but if you use it for an hour a night, or occasionally have access to an AC source, it should be quite manageable. Of course, if the bike setup doesn't allow for a place to keep a rigid panel pointing skywards, then yeah, you'll have no chance.
There's also the question of "good sunlight". Around where I live, counting on a full day of sunlight is optimistic at times. Expecting several days in a row is delusional. OPs situation may be better in that respect, but I'd look for other, less weather dependent solutions. 12V for the eee is a problem there.

There is the Dynotec S12 bottle dynamo from Busch and Mueller that delivers 0,5A at 12V. Even though it's supposedly extremely good (and expensive) as far as bottle dynamos go, it will have more drag than a good hub dynamo. But it's the only 12V bike dynamo I know of.

Keeping the voltage at 6V would simplify things. Instead of the eee use something that can be charged via USB, with foldable keyboard if needed (a Palm for example). Add a dynohub and n4zou's clever charging system to keep it running.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines

Last edited by Juha; 06-25-09 at 02:31 AM.