Old 06-25-09, 08:36 AM
palookabutt
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I've been following training plans now for several years, the latest based on Friel's book. I don't race except for the occasional time trial. I do try to set PR's at metrics and centuries.

Following Friel's version of intervals seems to have made the biggest difference this year. Previously I don't think I did enough of them or with enough intensity. Skills work like spin-ups and ILT seem to be a contributing factor: my pedaling has become more fluid than it was.

This year my Base period went from December through mid-March; Build period through mid-April and then a peak for my first metric in mid-May. I've been through another build period and now I'm peaking for a 200k in a couple of weeks. (Again, following Friel's formulae.)

My average speed for a Zone 2 (pure aerobic) ride has jumped about 5% this year, from ~17mph to ~18. I haven't seen an increase like that in years. It feels wonderful!

I'm just trying to figure the best way to maintain those gains in the fall without burning out.