DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lupowolf
Hey all...

I used to ride a lot, but it's been about 7 years and, well, I'm almost 40 now. I'm back on my bike and I feel great. I'm also eating right, so the bike just makes me drop fat. In the past 6 weeks, I've also raised my average speed by 2 mph.

The problem... and I'm embarassed to say this, since I used to do centuries ... is that I can't get past a lousy 7-mile ride! I'm totally out of it by the end. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Don't blame the "I'm almost 40" bit.

Check out the 50+ forum, you'll see folks in their 50's, 60's 70's and 80's who ride centuries and longer. Age is not the problem. My wife is 67 and doe 30 miles with no problem.

What cadence are you riding at?

How "steep" is that 7 miles?

What about your weight? You said you are "dropping" fat. How much is there to "drop?"

And, I would give some thought to some underlying medical problem, as previously suggested. If you can walk 2 miles (can you?) then 7 miles of flat bicycling should be a cinch.

If you are medically ok, I think you need to give yourself more time, be sure your cadence is fast, and just relax and build into it. Your distance and energy WILL build up. Set up a schedule of either miles or time and increase it, but be sure to give yourself rest days.

Good luck!