bicycleflyer
747 Freight Pilot

Bikes: Rivendell, Bike-Friday Pocket-Rocket and one home made fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idoru2005
I use a front mounted carrier, Bobike Mini. It cannot be used with drop bars. I'm not saying that it wouldn't fit the bike. If you tried it, you most likely would not be able to reach the handlebars or your barcons since your kid would be in the way.

I use the carrier on a Bianchi Avenue (step through frame). The bars have a mild rise and I was able to adjust the position of the bars so its easy to reach without feeling too crowded up front. I also have the Bobike windsheild fitted which keeps the wind and bugs out of my toddler's face. I'd really like to set the bike up with some Orange Velo North Road bars or Tourist Bars, and a nice Brooks saddle. That would make the bike pretty comfy.

You see where I'm going with this? With a kid on the bike, you want your ride to be comfy for both of you. A road bike with drop bars is not IMO the way to go.

Thanks for the reply... Drop bars are the only bars I have. Another bike is not an option at this time. Ibert has been corresponding with me on this subject and supplied me with some measurements. It would appear their seat will work fine with my bars. Drop bars are still the most comfortable bars for me. I wont be taking my child on any of my centuries, doubles, or rando events, so I plan to remove the seat for those. So I am only looking at rides of 30 to maybe 50 miles with my boy. I can stand anything for that kind of distance.