genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Serge *******
Jerks, sure. But someone doesn't want to avoid hitting you?
I know it only takes one, but what are the odds you're ever going to encounter a homocidal manicac like that? 1 in 10 million?
It only takes one lucky lotto pick too, but do you adjust anything in your life as if that might happen?
The odds of you experiencing a nuclear attack, house fire, or a 9.0 earthquake are probably higher. Are you adjusting your life to prepare for these highly unlikely outcomes too?

And if you selected "I'm not intimidated by traffic" I find that hard to believe, based on how you write about traffic.
Serge, while we ride in the same town, we do not ride in the same areas. I have been well out of traffic, in a bike lane, not impeding anyones flow and had jerks throw stuff at my head... including full cans of beer, more than once. I have had things thrown at me on both Genesee and Friars road. I have been hit. I have had jerks rev engine and try to cut me off with their car when I was in a narrow right turn lane (no WOL, no BL) who must have felt that the next 2 seconds were critical to their lives. I have had 20 somethings open doors, yelling manically at me and try to hit me... while on the side in WOL** moving slowly up hills. BTW, I have fat tires and riding off road has saved my butt more than once.

You can focus on all the wonder of VC riding... and comment on how I "see rocks," but you get this treatment a few times, and it will make you "gun shy" too.

Folks that don't see you or make mistakes are one thing... folks that target you are another. Ride way south of La Jolla some time. I used to live in the downtown area.

If only I had won the lottery instead.

** definition: wide outside lanes of multilane roads that offer several feet of usable space that can be shared by both vehicles and bikes moving side by side. Never defined by a line. Usually defined by an outside lane width of 14-16 feet.

On the plus side, I have also been whistled at by pretty young ladies... have been asked to give directions, and been propositioned (when I was a Pedi-Cab driver)