View Single Post
Old 02-17-05, 07:52 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclists struck by car!

I just read some of the threads on being intimidated by traffic. How ironic. I just watched on the news tonight about two cyclists who were struck by a car on a park road in KCMO. This is a fairly popular cycling road. However, it is busy during rush hour. Also, no shoulder to ride. A nice winding park road.

The driver said he came upon two cyclists riding abreast. He said he slowed and honked. The cyclist furthest from the edge didn't move. The driver then said as he tried to pass he clipped one of the cyclists with his side view mirror. both cyclists went down.

The cyclists said the driver intentionally swerved to hit them.

I have been a commuter/tourist for almost 25 years. I have a rule if you ride with me. In traffic, single file.

It really bothers me when two or more cyclists ride abreast in traffic or on semi busy streets. I have ridden with multitudes of other cyclists on nice winding country roads. MS150 is a great example. Also, very little to no traffic.

Just curious what your thoughts are on a subject like this.

It is nice to vent once in a while!