billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
For Asheville, I would recommend the BRP for sure. Asheville is in the valley, so starting on the BRP near town will require a long climb in either direction. Also, the further you get away from town the less the traffic will be. Will you be there on the weekend or during the week? How fit are you?

An out and back is what works most often on the BRP though there are longer loops that can be made. Since you only have a half day I would suggest driving up to a higher elevation to start your ride. That way you get the vistas and the cooler temps. I can offer some places to start a ride if you let me know how far you want to go (but all of it is good).
Note: I can devote an entire day or days to riding if I want to... not limited to half-day.

Fitness: My endurance is pretty good but I would not say I am terribly fast. Just finished a five-day supported 320 mile ride with a longest ride of 73 miles. Have ridden 50 milers in about 15 average, assuming low wind and minor hills. I weigh 220 and am certainly not an ardent climber, though I don't have to live in fear of hills either... but I don't think I would enjoy lot of really long extended climbs of more than a mile or so. I do not have to have, nor do I expect or want, a downhill-only ride of course. I actually really like rollers. I do want to take my time somewhat and enjoy these rides and the scenery.

Time: My family has a house rented in LaFollette, TN starting July 18th and I have pretty much freedom to take off from there for days at a time... will be visiting friends in Asheville and can stay with them most any time. Was kind of expecting to get to Asheville around the 19th (Sunday) or 20th ... but all of that is flexible. It sounds like it might be cool to just have my Asheville friends take me up the BRP 40-60 miles in one direction or the other to let me ride back to meet them for lunch or drinks etc. (Assume morning rides are more favorable this time of year?) Also have thought about possible two-day BRP ride ending in Asheville with a motel stop for one night.

I may also look around for a trout stream in the area while I'm there. Just a thought.