Old 06-30-09, 10:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
Just for anyone looking at this thread for the first time:

What the OP did with his seatpost was fabricate (very cleverly) a copy of a Profile Design Fast Forward seat post. These things look pretty ugly, but they´re effective at what they do, which is to change the seat post angle from the common road bike 73 degs to a steeper +/- 78 degs, as favoured by triathletes.

PD make two versions, the alu one is available in 27.0 and 27.2 mm sizes, the carbon just in 27.2. If you ride an older bike with a narrower gauge seat tube then you might have to make your own, otherwise flip your existing seatpost round (if you can) and slide the seat forward.

The second-hand market for these seatposts is very strong, so you should be able to pass it on in the future for what you paid for it, should you upgrade to a tri specific bike.

Alu version

Nitto 66 seatpost - similar idea

Valdora Ti seatpost - a pricier option.

I have a Profile forward seat post for my workingman's TT. It's probably not UCI legal, since it brings the nose of the saddle almost directly over the bottom bracket. I believe the UCI requirement is 5 cm behind. Not sure about USAT regs. But I've never seen any official checking bikes at a tri before, except to make sure you have bar plugs.