Old 06-30-09, 11:41 AM
kenf3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serial Number 59o3084o0222-f38-anyone help?

I originally posted this in found at the dump - because that's where I found it. It seemed too nice to be melted down for scrap. Wiser heads said it was worth a new thread to try and identify it. I've posted close ups on Picasa

http://picasaweb.google.com/kenf300/...55576905652114

It has Nervex lugs and bottom bracket and the serial number 59o3084o0222-f38

I think it's in it's second reincarnation, it had a Camapagnolo bar end shifter with a Shimano 600 rear mech; Weinemann levers and a Mafac rear brake, the photos show it as found. There are braze on cable guides on both sides of the down tube, but was a five speed before the wheels came off! I put a wheel on and it shifted well once I got the lever moving. The chainstays seem to have been filed in a 'decorative way'. I stripped some of the paint off to see what was underneath but no clues there. The bands on the as found pic were done with paint and masking tape.

I think it is probably a mid range from one of the big uk builders (e.g Dawes Viking) but don't have much idea.

Nearly all the components will have to be refurbished/replaced and I'm really looking for a steer as to how far to go with restoration. My road bike is a planet x so for now this is my brand x

I already have a fixed wheel bike with a nice 80's Columbus frame and I'm thinking whether or not to restore that one back to a ten speed and really go to town with this one but I don't want to start grinding bits off a 'classic'

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Ken