Old 02-18-05, 09:46 AM
harlot
deep fried goodness

Bikes: rosemary (bstone); fat chance; serotta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was diagnosed with EIA when I was 24 and have been dealing with various manifestations of it over the past 10 years. When I lived on the east coast I would have severe attacks in the hot, humid climates and I relied on an inhaler for any cycling or running. When I moved to the PNW I found I could control the EIA much better in this stable, maritime climate, and was eventually able to ditch the inhaler. I was never fond of the inhaler anyway because it would give me the shakes.

Then when I was 31 it came back something fierce and my doc said, "Well here's an inhaler, that's your life again." I knew there had to be a better solution than bowing down to the drug companies so I went to see my friend's naturopath and through a simple food elimination diet (great way to lose 10 lbs) I found out that my asthma was triggered by WHEAT and DAIRY. Once I eliminated these from my diet I literally got my life back and was stronger than ever and had NO asthma attacks. This was during my mountain climbing phase and it doesn't get much more strenuous than breathing at 14k with 40# on your back.

I've come to find my limitations and now know that I don't have to eliminate wheat and dairy 100% of the time, but if I want peak performance then I do have to be strict about it.

So I wouldn't rely on just drugs to solve EIA issues, look at systemic reasons also. I'm not a hippy freak, I just know that I've had a slew of health issues and this has worked miracles for me. Food sensitivities are a much overlooked segment of health care.