Old 07-01-09, 03:37 PM
dunningrb

Bikes: Trek 5200, Scattante R-560

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tadawdy
We see a lot of speed discussions. I often wonder what speed good solo riders can maintain on flat ground for extended periods. I really don't know. I only know they're a ton faster than I am. I can do 22 miles (getting stronger week by week...) in an hour in the flat lands around Chicago, and just did 40 in 2 hrs (out and back). Right now my eventual goals are a century in under 5 hrs, and 25 miles in 1 hr. What can all of you do?
Generally, my speed depends on the conditions, primarily the wind and how many hills I'm facing.

In the 40-km individual time trial, finishing in one hour is considered a mark of excellence. That's an average speed of 40 km/hr (duh) or 24.85 mph. The best competitors will finish a 40-km TT between 50 and 53 minutes, depending on the conditions, putting their speeds at between 28 mph and 29 mph.

Getting faster on flat ground is all about reducing aerodynamic drag. On the equipment end, for starters you'll need aerobars and an aerohelmet to get good results. On the fitness side, the usual prescription is to devote one day a week to hard intervals.

Maybe you should consider training for time trials. There is a sticky on TTs under the racing forum.