heypaul
Huffy Powered

Bikes: 2 year old 26" Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando303
I think it'd be nice if the "upside-down building," as you've cited it, still stood (I assume it does not).

Say, how came you across all this information regarding Welfare Island? Are you a resident? Simply interested in its history? Looking up trivia on Google.com for the sake of this thread?
You're right, the "upside-down building" no longer exists. Actually, I just learned that the elevator storehouse was not the only means of access to the island. The island could also be reached by steamboat, but even with a fleet of 15 boats they were not able to supply the needs of the 8,000 to 10,000 who lived in the institutions run by the city.

I'm not currently a resident of Roosevelt Island, although in another life I suspect I may have resided in the NYC Lunatic Asylum.

I've been on the island several times over the years, but it wasn't until I rode it as part of my sexycentennial+ tour of all the NYC bike paths, that I've really gotten a feel for the place.

I'm just fascinated by a timeless quality of the island, especially in its being so close to Manhattan.

I was in Queens yesterday torturing myself trying to ride the bike paths connecting Forest Park, Highland Park(actually in Brooklyn). I took the F train back to Brooklyn and decided to stop off on Roosevelt Island and pick up a copy of "The Queensboro Bridge" a recently published book.

I took some shots on the island.

http://community.webtv.net/hey-paul/...eltIsland70209

Can anyone identify a flower that I took a couple of shots of??

I'm hoping to view the fireworks from Roosevelt Island Saturday night. And yes, I know, they're not shooting them off in the East River, but I hate people, so I figured that Roosevelt Island might be an ideal place to go.