View Single Post
Old 07-03-09, 11:56 AM
KitN
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geo8rge
even a beater bike can be expensive
Agreed. Have you looked on Craigslist lately?? Sellers are asking for way too much even for beaters BUT you can find inexpensive beaters if you look really, really hard. I did! I recently aquired a solid little beater that I lock outside while running errands inside shops and buildings. I specifically purchased the beater to be as unattractive a target to thieves as I could get and I STILL lock it with the best mini ulock on the planet AND an armored cable that I use to secure the seat and wheels. I follow all safety precaustions with my beater like not leaving it unattened for longer than it would take to break the lock, locking it in highly visible, highly trafficed areas, etc.

Ride a beater (and properly lock it with the best lock you can get your hands on) or ride a folder (and bring the folder inside with you). Your chances of theft are seriously diminished by doing either of the above.

It is clearly inappropriete in some buildings, and I think the property owner is the best judge of that.
Agreed.

thieves will take just about any bike - Bikes can be stolen from offices, but that is not the point, it is your bike and your problem. Learn to solve your problems, yourself.
Yep. Thieves will steal anything but the point is to make it incredibly unappetizing to steal or nearly impossible to steal. As I described above, ride a beater and lock up properly or ride a folder and take it with you indoors. That effectively knocks down your chance of theft but NOTHING will completely eliminate theft.

Bikes "disappear" from locked bike storage cages in buildings! You can be held at knife/gunpoint and have your bike stolen out from under you. Anything can happen but you can at least knock down the chances of normal theft by following common sense and the above advice on bike choice & locks.

I personally would like to know of any building that rejects a small folded bike in a carry bag. I have never heard of such a thing.
I am speaking from 1st hand, daily experience, and I can honestly say as an owner and rider of a folding bike as my primary form of transport and commuting that I have NEVER been denied access to ANY building with my folding bike. I normally have it UNCOVERED but carrying it in my hand like luggage. No one even bats an eyelash. I do have a bag specifically made for the bike but I have only used it twice not because someone demanded it of me for entrance into a building.

I have never experienced or witnessed anyone with a folding bike being denied entrance to any building. So, moral of the story: Get a folding bike if you want guaranteed entrance into almost any building.

It's okay if folding bikes don't work for you but be prepared to properly lock your bike up outside. It's pretty straight forward.