View Single Post
Old 02-18-05, 11:26 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
In Portland, the biggest annual bike event is 'Bridge Pedal'. They close eight bridges, including two freeway bridges, once a year for this ride; the event draws 15,000+ cyclists.

Two years ago I volunteered as an on-ride mechanic, to fix flats, etc. during the ride. You would not believe the condition of many of the bikes I ended up working on. My guess was that they hadn't been ridden since the previous year's event. People showed up with bikes with flat tires, completely rusted chains, seats and derailleurs so far out of adjustment that their bike was practically unrideable...I was dumbfounded.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist or have deep mechanical aptitude skills to perform basic maintenance on a modern bike like keeping air in the tires and the chain lubed, but most of these folks seemed completely helpless....
I did the same thing at the "Bike New York" even in New York City. It amazes me the type of junkers people bring just to be a participant in the event. They don't care if the bike is unsafe or poorly maintained.

I happen to think there are LOADS of used bikes out there selling for less than $100.00 UDS. Ebay is loaded with used bikes so there really is no excuse to not have one. What's costly is the maintenance of the second bike but then again, it doesn't have to be in tip top condition.