jonmein
blissful

Bikes: Tour Easy, Volae, BikeE, Novara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by da07079
(3) How do you steer tight turns? (This is probably an Enduro- or highracer- or maybe SWB-specific question.) Each time I turn the front wheel more than 10 or 15 degrees, I seem to be in danger of either hitting my knee on the bars or my heel on the tire.

[...] I found it difficult to control the bike without constantly twitching the steering from side to side.
I have a Volae 2x650c and find heel strike is avoidable by rotataing my heel out and/or flattening my pedal stroke (pointing toe). Knees can turn in or out a bit, too. I also find that light pressure on rear brake helps improve control during tight turns.

Twitchy steering can be an indication of too tight a grip. Relaxed hands and shoulders make recumbent steering less twitchy in my experience.

Re: counter steer. Yes, there's less upper body influence when riding recumbent. But I find I can shift my upper body and head to lean the Volae. The more upright seating on my Tour Easy means even a larger range of motion is possible. And with the lower seatback and higher center of gravity on my BikeE makes upper body movement makes the most difference.

Jon