View Single Post
Old 07-07-09, 09:22 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Custom travel frame

(Cross posted from "Mechanics". Hopefully I can get some good framebuilder opinions here.)

I'm having a custom steel frame built with S&S couplers. The original plan is that it would replace my "workhorse" in my stable; a utility bike built on Nashbar's "X" frame...9 speed 105 group, Shimano R505 "road" disc brakes.

The plan was that all components would move to the new frame. I would get cantilever mounts put on as well, just in case something happened to the discs and replacement parts weren't available. I'd have the new frame built with 132.5 dropout spacing...'cuz you never know.

And that's what got me thinking...if I'm putting on a different brake mount because I'm worried about disc brakes on a travel bike, maybe I should just go with cantilevers? Then I started thinking about how much I hate cantilevers, because they scream like banshees and have marginal stopping power...and that got me to thinking that maybe a travel bike makes more sense with a long reach brake caliper. (I intend for this bike to run tires as wide as 32mm, depending on conditions.) And if I'm doing all of that, maybe it should just be built with 130mm spacing, just to make it easy.

Now I'm feeling confused about this project, where at first there was just certainty. What to do?

I'm interested in hearing your take on this.