View Single Post
Old 07-07-09, 01:19 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfish
Surprised the GP4000s feel rough. Is it because they're 23mm rather than 25mm? The Rubinos are really a mid range tyre, whereas Pro Race II / IIIs, Vittoria Corsa CX and GP4000s are top end race tyres. They all grip better in the wet than Rubinos, ride better but wear more quickly.

I've also tried Schwalbe Ultremos, but not on the tandem. IMHO these are a bit too fragile for the tandem, a one sharp stone can ruin the tyre with a side wall cut.

How much air are you putting in? How much do you weigh? I am about 80kg and find 100-110psi is enough for my single bike on 23mm tyres and maybe 130psi with 25mm tyres on the tandem. No need for 150psi as it stops the tyres absorbing any road vibration and goes beyond most rim manufacturers' maximum psi.

I weigh 140lbs. On my single bike I use 100psi. I reduced it to 90psi on the GP4000s and it did not help much. I always use 23mm tires on my single. I don't think the Pro Race III or the Corsas would last at all on the tandem rear. The GP4000s probably would, its a lot more durable than the others, but now I am hesitant because of the ride on my single. I am going to try the Rubino, hope the ride improves over the Gatorskins. I use 120psi with 25c on the tandem. The price on the Rubinos is also a lot less.