View Single Post
Old 02-20-05, 08:05 AM
UziBeatle
Friar

Bikes: Mutant Huffy six speed, Garage Sale Deluxe Cannondale HB-200 Modified Glintmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsd87
Be Ready, you can't reverse it. Your diabetic! Those who require injections aren't the only ones.

For Type II (Late onset) diabetes it can be 'reversable'. REversable in the sense one can do away
with the need for oral meds. I can only speak from personal experience and I must be one of the lucky ones.

May 2004 I was diagnosed diabetic by my doc when we noted I had a blood sugar of 340 during some
blood tests we had done checking up for another illness I had gone in for.

Long story short. I'm 49, 6'1", and weighed 295 pounds. He put me on Avandamet which I took for
4 months. SInce the stuff was so damn expensive I began to cheat on the dosage, (cutting tabs in half).
I used my fathers blood sugar tool to monitor my blood sugars...

I finally whined enough I supposed and the doc said I could switch over to Glyburide ( a MUCH cheaper oral alternative). After reading the warnings on the drug info pamphlet I worried about hypoglycemia, as Glyburide is not nearly as user friendly as Avandamet types. So I decided on my own to try without meds for a while and just maintain with my NEW exercise and improved diet. Well, here it is February and been off the oral meds since October 2004. (main motivation besides worrying about Diabetes was the cost of Avandamet, 130 plus dollars a month....)

So, while I 'd agree it's not 'reversable' but it is possible with proper diet and exercise to get off the meds.

I still moniter my blood surgar a few times a week and just passed my AC1 long term average with flying colors.

My non professional advice to anyone on Type II medical therapy is to talk it over with the doc, you
may be one of the lucky ones too.

Oh, final p.s. the only forbidden sweet I cheat with to date is bitter chocolate from Wal Mart. Hehe.

Luck.