View Single Post
Old 07-08-09, 07:20 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Converting Brompton M bars to S Type?

I wonder if anyone can confirm what is involved in this conversion?

I let my Dad have a ride of my S-Type 2 speed Brompton last Sunday and now he wants one. I asked him about the S bars and he said he really liked them and says that is the type he wants.

The problem is that I have phoned all the local dealers and none have got any S-Types in stock. I’ve mentioned the B-Spoke option but he is not willing to wait the 6-8 weeks... when he sets his mind on something he wants it now! So I’ll be at the Brompton dealers with him first thing Saturday morning.

So I’m considering buying him an M type and if he does not like it I will change the bars.

I know I would have to buy:
S-type stem
S-type bars & grips
S-type brake levers
S-type brake & gear cables, or might I be able to shorten the existing cables to S-type length?
S-type cable gatherer (not required if I use original cables)

Is there anything else that I have overlooked?

The S-type bars are far and away my preferred choice but my Dad has not tried an M-type yet, so he may find that he likes them once he rides an M-type.

I have even been looking on e-bay but it seems to me that even second hand bikes are fetching prices near to what I can buy a new one for.