Old 07-08-09, 09:36 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nbois
Coming into the last right turn prior to the bell lap, we (top 10-12 riders) were going 5 wide. The guys on the inside were hugging the right curb, while myself and a few other riders were on the outside, setting up our line for a wide turn. Of course, the guys on the inside go through the corner wide, pinching the outside, and sending me into the cones/guy to my outside, and in-turn flipping me off and planting my helmet on someone's rear tire (cool tire mark on the temple, but I think I may have crushed it a little).

Guys were routinely hugging the inside lines, not taking corners how one would instinctively take them by starting wide and ending wide (at least, I thought that was instinctive). The front of the line was often lining up very inside, then sweeping wide, going much slower than needed.

My question: if people are lining up improperly for a turn, do you:

A) take the line with them so as not to go against the grain

B) line up the way you feel you should and hope they adjust accordingly (like I and a few others foolishly did)

C) sit up and let the carnage unfold in front of you, then hammer to get back into it.

D) time trial off the front and take the turns however you feel
A or D
If they are ahead of you then their job is to take the turn and your job is to protect your wheel.
If you are ahead of them... then you can line it up and do it right.

B will probably introduce you to the pavement, and this will be your fault not theirs.
C has an excellent chance of tiring you out, and probably keeping you from achieving the results you want. Mass-start racing is about adapting to the situation unfolding around you- this includes screwy cornering.