View Single Post
Old 07-08-09, 11:18 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by lighthorse
Don,
Your initial post raises an interesting question. Would I do route planning for someone else? When I first read your post my mind went through all of the published routes that I am familiar with and came up with nothing useful so I did not reply. If I were the youngsters in question I would have already chosen a route and would likely not have been dissuaded by a last minute suggestion from someone on an internet forum. As much as I enjoy route planning for myself, I don't think that I would do it for someone else.
I agree completely. The kids in question seem to be a bit under-prepared. They have all the Adventure Cycle route maps from Charlottesville, VA to California. But they arrived at my house not knowing how they would get to Charlottesville - thus my post. A response on the touring forum recommended the WO&D out of the metro area followed by rural roads via Google Maps to get south. That is what I recommended as well. They made it to Warrenton, VA yesterday so they are doing pretty good - at least 85 miles depending on the roads they selected. Today they should make Charlottesville and be able to follow their maps. I hope their repair skills are up to snuff