Old 07-08-09, 03:15 PM
jhunt012

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rough Guide/Time Frame to Getting in Cycling Shape?

Starting about 2 weeks ago, I have been swimming 2-3 days a week, Running 2-3 days a week, and riding my bike 3 days a week. I am not starting this completely "off the couch" as I have been staying fairly active with a bit of running/swimming/hiking/very little riding for the last several years, just not consistently. With my swimming, I feel like I am over the hump where I can pretty much just keep swimming as long as I am not trying to swim fast. I am hoping there is a "hump" like this with riding that I would like to get to.

My rides the last 2 weeks have been for about an hour riding rolling terrain at probably 15-18 mph. (not really sure b/c I don't have a bike computer). When I finish each time, I definitely feel like I got a good workout, but not like I am over doing it.

I would like to build up to being able to consistently and comfortably ride 25 miles at a descent pace twice a week and comfortably do a 50 mile ride on the weekend. Maybe shoot for this goal by the end of October?

Just hoping someone could suggest a rough riding schedule for me. Is 3 days a week enough? or should I be riding 4? More than 4 is not really practical with my schedule. What kind of mileage/or time would you recommend. I want to make sure I am riding enough to improve, but don't want to risk any overuse, chronic fatigue, type of symptoms. I will also like to continue with running/swimming at least twice a week.

Hopefully you can provide some input. Thanks for your time.