Old 07-08-09, 08:39 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Niterider tail light question - plugs and compatibility

Don't get into this forum often, but when you need to ask the experts....

I would like to get a powered tail light (ie not a small self contained blinky) and I thought that since I already have a Niterider front light it would make sense to get the Universal Tail Light that they offer.

However, I'm confused about the different plug styles and the compatibility issues. The Niterider website is not terribly clear and through my search here I noted that a few of you had the tail light and hopefully can help. The lights are not stocked anywhere I can find here, so I can't go and play with one in a LBS to work this out. It will be a web-order from overseas so I've got to get it right myself.

My headlight is a Mini Newt USB. The connector between battery and light is not the 'surlock' type, rather it is a fairly common looking connection (I don't know the name of this one) that you get on a lot of 12v and 6v applications.

The taillight seems to have a small connector that looks like a 2.5mm or 3.5mm headphone jack. Niterider have an adaptor (top of this page) that looks like it is designed to allow two lights - tail and front - to connect to one battery with a surlock connector. There are also a lot of other cables and adaptors that may or not be needed.

So, can I use my current head light and battery with the tail light? If so, what parts and adaptors do I need.

If i can't use my current head light, which ones could I use?

Thanks!