Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRCF
I'm just about to finish my third year of riding (I'm almost 56). With two more rides planned before the year is over, I've already achieved my goal which was to average 20 miles/day, including rest days and vacation days. Since it covered a leap hear, that meant 7320 miles. Right now I have exactly 7500 - but keep in mind that I can ride year round!

In recent months I have discovered something about myself. If my riding is kinda slow, I really have a hard time making myself ride far so I rarely did. Typically I was riding 5 days a week for most of the year for 26-32 miles usually (I have a long rest in the middle of it).

But when I got to the point where I could usually average 15 mph without killing myself, I found I didn't mind riding further. Oh, going further certainly dropped my average, but on my best day I did manage 53 miles at a 15.0 mph average. I switched to 4 days a week, but was riding 40 miles or more - lots over 50 or even over 60 and have been doing this for a couple months. Still had a long rest break, but would be doing 25-45 before the rest time.

I figure if I could go faster - again without killing myself - or maintain a high speed longer, I may go even further.

So, I was wondering what kind of speeds over distance other people around my age or older are able to achieve.

Now that I have reached my goal, I expect to ride three days a week so I always get at least one day rest after a long ride. Ideally, I'd like to be able to ride 50 miles or more each time. This would be easy if I can do it faster than now.
That's great. 7500 miles in a year is pretty decent for anyone, even a young strappin' lad. This year I hope to get in about 5,000.

Have you ever considered doing some personal bests, such as a 1 hour TT or 50-miler? With all of those base miles you should be ready to tackle something like that. You don't need to become a full fledged racer or anything. Just find yourself a good course that you can ride continuoulsy and get down to business. It would be considerably different from logging miles and as such the training would be different. However, it may help keep your enthusiasm going.