Old 07-09-09, 11:18 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tigerprawn
And you are EXACTLY correct. I don't lock up my bike anywhere for more than 5 minutes. EVER.
I'm skeptical, but OK ...
I then lock it up in a corner where they can keep an eye on it. I'm lucky that most places haven't turned down my request.
It's not really luck, as you can just turn around and leave if they say no.

In any event, jacks and cable cutters work just fine indoors too. I'm guessing that your bike is locked up at these places (indoors, OK) for more than five minutes?
No one is dumb enough to bring a angle grinder or jack to try and steal a bike in that area. At least not in broad daylight.
Angle grinders make a lot of noise and sparks, but jacks are small, quiet and stealthy. And you'd be surprised how dumb people can be.

And people are known for ignoring crimes in progress. They may see somebody working on your bike, but they don't know for sure that the bike is being stolen, and don't know the owner of the bike and don't want to get involved anyways (which could turn into trouble for them), so they just keep walking ...

Sounds like you've done the needful with regards to keeping your bike from being stolen -- but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen tomorrow.