Old 07-09-09, 05:53 PM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very satisfied with Conti 4 Season GP's...28's. We are a 305 pound team that ride on some pretty rough roads on a regular basis. We're about to put on our 4th set of them with no hesitation..The only down side is the rear does wear out in 1500 miles or less.
Recently we started riding a second tandem with Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case c28' tires that also seem very durable but they feel a bit less confidence inspiring if pushed much...not sure if the issue is simply the tires or the wheels or the frame...but we do plan on replacing the Bontragers with the Cont's and see what that does to it.
I also run 4 Season GP's on my single bike in an overkill c25 size.... needless to say they have been virtually indestructable, super durable while retaining great handling in that application.....
Obviously I'm a big fan of these tires and recommend them highly.

Something else to consider...while there are probably a lot of good tires out there to meet various uses....the only thing that is certain in my book, particularly on a Tandem is: the heavier the team or the harder a team rides or the greater the risks a team chooses to take on their tandem...the more critical a really great quality tire becomes. If in doubt... buy a better quality tire and (if you're not racing for money or glory) maybe a slightly larger tire than you think you get get by on. A little saftey margin, when the only thing between all our hides and the pavement are those two tiny pathes of rubber, is a wonderful thing.

Bill J.