Old 07-09-09, 09:52 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Leah
Yeah, I'm car-free, so if I want to get somewhere, it is almost always on my bike. Add that to a 6-mile-per-weekday commute, and it definately begins to adds up.My main problem (other than the gear thing, of course) is that my bike is fairly heavy. I live on top of a gigantic hill, so anywhere I go involves getting back up it.My bike is definately worth the $250 I paid for it a few years ago, but that doesn't really mean much with a bike. I've been looking for a replacement on craigslist because I really don't have the money for a new bike, but not a ton has come up in my size. I've been weighing whether its cheaper to just fix up my bike or get a new one, and whether fixing it up would be worth the time and money anyway. So far, its been pretty inconclusive.
Ah, I see...

IMO, a conventional road bike would probably be a better hill climber than fixing up a hybrid. On the other hand, putting a lower stem and straight handlebars might be enough of a change to satisfy your hunger for hills. How well either bike fits you will be a key element.

I know- pretty wishy-washy. "Inconclusive" is my middle name! (I think.)

Talk to the local racing club- many times someone is trading up, down, or sideways for the latest "big thing". A "racing" bike might not be a good commuter, but you might luck out. An older road bike that fits you and accepts slightly fatter tires (as above- 700 x 28C) sounds like it would fit the bill.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..