Old 07-10-09, 09:00 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloria
Thanks, this is helpful. If the Flyer does not effect pedaling with drop bars, then there is no reason I should not get it. My concern was, that should I end up leaving the drop bars on, the Flyer would be inappropriate. As you can tell, I am biased towards the Flyer. However, my husband has it on his road bike (also with drop bars) and says he is still not sure whether it was the right choice vs. a B17. Several female acquaintances seem to also think the B17 is the one for fast, long-distance riding.
I was going to suggest the B17. It's well-proven for long distance riding. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by fast, but certainly this is not a "toodle for 50 miles" bike.

I haven't tried sprung saddles with anything but a trekker bar, and so far I don't like it (my wife's Breezer Liberty with a NOS B72). I'm currently using a B17N Imperial on my Trek with drop bars a few cm below the saddle, and an Ideale 92 (French competitor to Brooks from the old days, similar shape to a B17) on my Woodrup with drop bars at saddle height. Both work well for those arrangements, though the Ideale is going to be replaced by a B17 Imperial someday soon. Mrs. Road Fan did not like a suspension post on her flat-bar road bike, a Cannondale Road Warrior 800.

I've tried a Velo-Orange Swallow imitation, and like the shape but not in the rear, plus it stretches a lot. i don't know if it's the leather or the narrowness, but I've noticed Swallows to stretch a lot, too.

But if the Flyer springs just add a bit of shock protection and not much cush, then I might go for it. OTOH, your mixte with the twin lateral tubes probably has a decent amount of vertical compliance, compared to a solid drop tube or a standard top tube.

Last edited by lotek; 07-10-09 at 10:19 AM.