Old 07-10-09, 07:37 PM
patfromct1954

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Intro from Central CT, and a couple of questions!!

HI all - this seems like a really active group, and am happy to be a new member I just purchased a Specialized Dolce Elite road bike, and did my first ride last night (first ride in 12 yrs) and did a smooth 19.62 miles with a group. I am trying to get back into shape, but to my surprise, my cardio was GREAT!! I got the prettiest girliest bike I could find, LOL. EVerything right now is motivation for me. I am blind in my right eye (thank God it's the right eye and not the left, as if it were the left, I would be unable to do road riding) ....

First question from this newbie is when do you know you are comfortable enough for clipless pedals?? I tried Speedplay pedals when I was riding back in the early 90's, and I darn near killed myself between falls and trying to get out of the darned things. (anyone want to buy the speedplay pedals, just email me!)

The next question is regarding computers. I purchased a Speedzone Comp yesterday for $70, but I know I will end up needing more gear. I want to also at some point have a heart rate monitor and definitely am going to want a gps at some point. I am NOT a fast rider (average about 15 mph), but I love distance and hills. My biggest problem is stopping at this point. Definitely not ready for those shoes and pedals yet, LOL. Anyhow, I am a happy newbie. I have the nicest bike I have ever owned, and have found a great group of people to ride with and to help me get used to shifting again, etc. it's true, you never forget how to ride, however, shifting is another story! I am waiting for someone to have a video camera to give me a good laugh!

Okay, got to run for now. Have to get ready for tomorrow morning's ride with the group. I have found a group of people, who are not in it for the competition, but for the fun. It's a group called "healthy gears" based out of Bristol, CT, and it's a group of people just trying to build up their fitness levels. I was just so impressed with this group of people, and I can't thank them enough for getting me through a 20 mile ride for my first real ride out!

If any of you are from CT, please let me know what your favorite rides are! I want to try them all!