View Single Post
Old 02-21-05, 09:34 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
Great story there Skydive and it sounds like you've got the most important element already.

I have a daughter who is a terrific example of a lot of heart/motivation. She was never blessed with extraordinary talent but has worked/willed her way onto running cross country and track at a Division I school. Dangle a little medal on a ribbon in front of that kid and she hits another level.......Now if her younger sister with all the talent had 1/2 her older sister's heart no telling what she could do!!! Great kids and wouldn't take them any other way though.

Let us know how the games go. Should be some excellent training weather! Our TT's don't crank back up until April.
I love people with the attitude of your daughter. I used to train with some great runners, and people that could make me suffer in training would wind up standing on a lower level of the podium at the end of a race. Dangle that trophy in front of me, and there is no stopping me! The most excitement I have ever had was in a 5K road race when I was 40. Vince Cartier lived in my town. He had broken Jim Ryan's world high school indoor mile record, and at the time was training with Frank Shorter in Gainsville with the hope of making the '84 olympics as a 5K runner. There were two great runners among about 300 plus participants in this particular race - one was constantly winning road races in the NE and Cartier. I was running in third place running the race of my life with Cartier in site. With about a half mile to go, I found myself in the absolute "zone," and started closing on Cartier. I started to pass him, and I thought that would inspire him to go into another gear. I used to watch him run intervals and he had awesome speed. He did not respond, and the 40 year old fart beat a national class open runner!!