View Single Post
Old 07-12-09, 01:45 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Judging by the recent spate of posts, yesterday was a good day for a ride!

Turns out, it was no less true here - Bikingshearer and I teamed up for a leisurely tour of SF, the Marin Headlands, and Mill Valley. We met at the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero, under a heavy marine layer and chilly breezes. We lasted all of about 15 minutes before I twisted Rich's arm and made him stop at Starbucks for a hot beverage and a small bite to eat.

After I achieved a proper mindset, we headed through Fisherman's Wharf to gain access to the Golden Gate Bridge. Up and over, through the fog, and down the other side we turned left and looped through the Marin Headlands. The fog was sort of lifting by this time, but was still above us sending it's tendrils down and around us now and again.

Coming off the headlands and back into Sausalito, we finally got some sun and blue skies. From there, it was a delightful romp up to Mill Valley and lunch, threading ourselves between the throng of participants in a massive walk for breast cancer research. Arriving at Mill Valley, we lunched with Rich's charming fiancée while planning our return route.

Going back to SF we retraced the route coming up, neglecting of course the loop through the headlands. It was such a nice day we eschewed the many opportunnities to ride back on a ferry and scooted back across the Golden Gate and our starting point. After feasting on a vendor-cart hot dog we shared a ride on BART, eventually parting ways on the other side.

A Good Day - about 40 miles and 3,000' of climbing or so.

In the beginning - On the BART platform, waiting for a SF bound train:

A funny juxtaposition:

GG approach:

Crossing the GG:

Land's End, with Bolinas Lighthouse dimly visible:

Through a tunnel, darkly:

A nice toy, riding anchor:

Coming back, the Bay Bridge and Alcatraz:

Alcatraz:

The Balcuth:

S. J. Perelman