View Single Post
Old 07-13-09, 10:13 AM
abadoki

Bikes: '08 Scott Addict R4, '09 Habanero Titanium Team Issue, '05 Scattante XRL, Mid 80's Titan Italian Steel, Trek 400 Elance, Trek 540 Touring Series, 80's Nishiki Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My One-Day STP, what do you think?

So, the plan was to ride this year's STP (Seattle to Portland) in one day, which is 204 miles. I've ridden right at 2500 miles to train for this ride and had planned to ride with a "friend", who turn 50 this year, my son who is 28, and has only ridden for about 2 months and another young guy, 20 something, from the local bike shop. In all of our riding and planning, we talk about how we would ride together and help each other when the riding got tough, this was to be a team effort.

So much for the planning. After arriving at the half-way point, my riding partner and the young guy got food, I got a 30 minute massage as planned. When my massage was finished they didn't want to wait while I ate, so they took off. My son and I managed to meet back up with them at the next food stop and rode with both of them for about 10 miles when the young guy took off again. My riding partner didn't want to stop at the last food stop as planned, my son and he were ahead of me and did not stop at the food stop. After I left the food stop, I found my son, who was resting in the grass next to the road. My riding partner went ahead. My son and I rode about 5 miles, when he got sick and was unable to continue, we call for my wife to come and pick him up. I planned to stayed with him until my wife arrived, but by the time she got there it was too late to finish. We did go back the next morning and finish the ride.

My question is what would you have done, would you have stayed with you child or not, and how should I feel about my riding partner who promise to be there for the "team"?