Thread: Dog Bite
View Single Post
Old 02-21-05, 07:54 PM
BirdDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I thought I'd let everyone know my status. I went to the surgeon and there's no tendon damage or serious internal damage. I have about 7 deep puncture wounds and one 2 inch gash on my calf which are healing pretty nicely. I will have battle scars but it could have been much worse. These bites were bite and releases and it looked like my leg had been ripped open. It wasn't an attack but it wasn't a nip either. If the dog was really serious it would have been much much worse.

I've been given the ok to start cycling as much as I can and can start running this week. However, the running might have to wait since my calf is still very tight and the pounding will hurt too much at this point. I have to wait for swimming until the wounds close since I swim in a public pool, but I could start swimming now. It'll probably be a month or so before I'm at the point where I can really push it. I was on crutches as of last Tuesday so the leg has made great progress over the last week.

The owners of the dog are contemplating putting the dog down since they don't trust him anymore and he will have to be pinned up at all times. We live in the country and there are dogs running everywhere which is why I wasn't so startled when the dog came after me. I did find out the dog was a full blooded lab which was very surprising to me. I'm usually chased 2 to 3 times a day while running or cycling, some good dogs some bad. It's their decision to put the dog down, not mine and I'm not going to push the matter. If I had to choose I would put the dog down without question, but it would still be a tough decision. I've had dogs my entire life and have one sitting beside me right now. All I wanted to do was to remind people to be careful, especially dog lovers like myself who might let down their guards to dogs that look like they won't bite. I would have never thought this dog would bite but I was wrong. This actually did happen so just be careful.