Old 07-13-09, 06:28 PM
Jarery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
+1
I look at this and wonder why someone wouldn't just have a nice salad instead ... or add several kinds of veggies & fruit to every meal.
Mainly because i dont have an hour to eat breakfast which is what it would take to make then eat what i put in a blender. A kale salad i also dont find appetizing. The smoothie takes me about 2 min to make and about the same to drink.

My main reasoning is i was getting zero veggies for breakfast, just at dinner/lunch with salads and sides. Now my breakfast is 100% veggie and fruit, and my daily intake of veggies is about 5-10x than before.

Most people use a lot of salad dressing also which if store bought can be high calorie, fat, processed chemicals, etc. If im going out for dinner, like you i'd prefer the salad.

Nutritionally, the smoothie is better as its broken down more than you can do with chewing.

A plant-based diet (one rich in fruits and vegetables) contains a large amount of cellulose. Humans do not have the enzyme capable of breaking down cellulose,so we cannot utilize cellulose as an energy source. If we eat cellulose-rich, raw greens without thoroughly masticating them, we lose much of the food value. To get as many nutrients as possible into your bloodstream, the plant walls must be broken open to release the nutrients inside the cell. When we simply chew a salad, about seventy to ninety percent of the cells are not broken open. As a result, most of the valuable nutrients contained within those cells never enter our bloodstream..........................By contrast, when you consume a blended salad, you are assuring a thorough digestion of the plant protein. Ninety- eight percent of all the proteins will be broken down into amino acids or very small peptides, and absorption will be almost complete as well. As a result, you absorb almost all the protein in the raw greens, instead of losing so much..
Above cut/paste from http://www.formerfatguyblog.com/2008...ded-salad.html

And finally, a reason to have it instead of a salad......they taste great

Last edited by Jarery; 07-13-09 at 07:21 PM.