Old 07-14-09, 09:21 AM
Angleiron
Learning the hard way

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 40x14
3 scoops as a recommendation... So hammer is saying you could have used 1.5 scoops per bottle and consumed more liquid with a less dense concentration of heed in your water bottles. That sounds reasonable.

It's great that you're planning ahead and preparing for the ride, but honestly I think you might be over-thinking this a bit. Far more important will be your training leading up to the ride, rest in the 2-3 days before the big ride (light to moderate rides are ok) , and mental preparation for the ride.

Have you ever had issues with bonking, muscles cramping, or dehydration? I wouldn't wish these on anyone... but if you haven't then you're not knowledgeable about what you're trying to avoid. The guys at Hammer probably have more experience with their own products than anyone here, though if you ask enough people, you're sure to get lots of conflicting opinions.

Is the century that you're doing going to be a supported century? Are you planning on stopping at all? What's the weather going to be like? These are important factors. If you're planning on stopping you can always carry some powder in a ziploc and mix it at a rest-stop.

Also, you have enough time between now and then to do at least one target-length ride. if you're riding solo I'd recommend 70 miles or so at the same pace that you plan to ride for the century. If you're riding with friends, go for 85. This will help your body adapt in many ways.
Actually, they recommended 3 scoops per bottle for my weight...so I was 1 scoop less than what I was told that I should have been doing. Over thinking this? Yes...welcome to my world!

No bonking, cramps, or feeling dehydrated so far...and my plan is to keep it that way. I carb load on Saturday's, as Sundays are my long rides. As for the century, this is my first one along with a bike club that I do not know too much about...though I know that they do have stops every 2 hours I think I remember reading in the brochure.

I have a lofty goal...to finish between 6-7 hours. I have been forcing myself to keep a 15mph pace, but I have been avreaging almost 16mph with not really pushing myself at all. My cadence has been an average of 70, so I am not pushing hard at all. I am sure that I will need to stop at some point for a bathroom break as well as for water. My plan was to have some ziploc bags with powder, as well as some hammer gel in reserve...just in case.

I have been switching off between riding my aluminum Giant TCR2, and my Orbea Orca to decide as to which bike that I want to ride. They both have their advantages, but I will play that one by ear. The 50 miles that I dod this past Sunday was not too bad, though I under lubed a little for the chamois...which just tells me that there is no such thing as too much as not enough can make things uncomfortable. I can end the day by doing some riding standing on the pedals...not because I need to but because I wanted to work the legs a bit more...which I think is a sign that I am doing O.K. with things so far.