View Single Post
Old 07-14-09, 10:05 AM
frymaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have tubulars on my road bike and i concur that they are dreamy to ride -- all this futz about increased rolling resistance is just that: futz. they're light and fast and ride like 14 bars of inflated awesome.

however... they are a pain to maintain.

1. if the rims are used you will need to scrub all the old glue off them. this is a pain in the ass and involves chemicals and steel wool and other not-fun stuff.
2. the tires cost a boatload. do not get cheapies. this defeats the purpose of riding tubs. get expensive ones... and get three. you will need a spare
3. gluing is a drag. it's not that it's hard and it's not that if you do it wrong you'll kill yourself (if you put enough lateral force on your tire to unmount it on a fixed gear then you're obviously nelson vails and have a staff to glue your tires for you) it's just that it's messy and time consuming. remember to pre-stretch new tires.
4. roadside repair is also a drag. you can carry a pre-glued spare with you -- if you fold it up and tie it to the bottom of your saddle you can get that wickid old-timey look -- and with sufficient commitment you can install it roadside... but once you do that you pretty much have to head straight home to remount it properly.
5. remember when i said back in point 3 that you weren't going to kill yourself if you mount those tires wrong? not fully true. you acutally can screw the process up enough to cause your tire to unglue mid ride. it's not easy to fail this badly, but it can be done. just keep that in mind when you consider cutting corners.