Old 07-16-09, 12:32 PM
TamaraEden

Bikes: TREK WSD 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by masiman
Make sure you are using your gears (assuming you have gears). Don't try pushing big gears, tires out your muscles before your cardio is done in. Aim for 60-80 rpm cadence, maybe 40-60 up hills. Your cadence should be smoother and probably faster as you get used to riding.

Your rear may hurt on following days but keep riding and that will (should) go away. It will feel tender like a bruise maybe with hotspots. After 5 or 10 minutes of the initial hurt you won't feel it as bad.

Keep at it, the improvements will follow. 36 is still young
Hi and thanks!

1. I use the easier gears but I go on comfort. I have a Trek WSD 7000, lots of gears. I usually have it sent (on the left) in 2nd and then work my range depending on how I feel.

2. I have NO clue how to track/follow cadence and I'm so new and don't do long rides that that prob. is little concern for me right now.

3. My tush feels fine! Did I write "pain in the tush", I literally meant, what a pain! LOL. Funny.

4. Yes, 36 is young, I'm just super duper outta shape. The goal is to get comfy enough to do my little commute a few times a week. I teach so I have summer off and work is only an 8 minute ride. Going is a slight grade down the whole way, coming home is the opposite (obviously).

Thanks for the advice and positive thoughts. I feel like a doofus.