Old 07-20-09, 05:47 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by MxChino
Two weeks ago I really got started into cycling. This is the first time I've really road a bike since I was maybe 15 or 16 years old. I bought a used 7500fx at first and started hitting the bike trails with my girlfriend.

The first night her, myself and our friend rode about 12 miles. I was in pure agony . Since then we've been riding about 10 miles a night 6 nights a week at the trail. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

I've seen quite a bit of improvement for myself over the past few nights. I don't have to routinely stop for a minute to rest, I'm not getting winded nearly as bad, etc.

I guess what my question is am I doing to much to soon? Not enough? I really need to build up my stamina as I would like to go on longer rides. Is there a set guideline I should be going by? A month from now what should I be aiming for?

I'm about 6'1 or 6'2 and at the heaviest I've been since i was a child, about 235 or 240lbs. So some weight could definitely be shed. I just recently quit smoking and with my new found love of cycling I just want to get into shape, in the past I've always hovered around 190lb's or so, but was never in shape. I definitely have the motivation as each night I can't wait to get off work to hit the trail.

Now that I have a new road bike (2009 specialized allez sport compact) what should I reasonably progressing to? Thanks for any and all help!
The rule of thumb is that you increase mileage or effort 5% from week to week, all other things remaining equal. Many folks stretch that 5% to 10 or more.