Old 07-23-09, 09:14 AM
gholt

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
As dabac said, the impacts you mention do usually dent or taco a wheel, not cause spoke hole cracks or pull-through.

Who built these wheels and was the spoke tension proper when you got them or was it ever checked? Were the wheels retrued after one of your impacts which could have resulted in very uneven spoke tension?

OP's aren't the worlds most durable rim but anything should last more than 5000 miles if properly built and not abused too badly.
They were Performance Bike. I didn't check it when the arrived. also about 1 year back the bungee came loose off my rack and caught on a spoke. I think it may have slightly bent a spoke. I retrued the wheel. I may have over tensioned that area of the bike. I guess I could have been the cause of the crack. After that they seemed to come routinly out of true in the same area. I just thought the spokes were loosing themselves. But, this may be the real problem. Can't remember exactly where the bungee cord caught the spoke. I wrapped around the wheel a few times b/f I could stop.