View Single Post
Old 07-23-09, 12:03 PM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
are you mentally prepaired to tour.

a lot of first time tourers come to this forum looking for advice on all things touring.
but you rarely see questions on the mental side of touring ,how to get yourself mentally prepaired for what could turn out to be a disaster and how to cope with it.
i had such an experience in france last month ,to be honest i was expecting blue sky's and sun all the way a hassle free tour, but alas it was not to be.
the first days rain was not a problem but on the second day one of the lads had a very nasty accident ,lots of injurys to his face arm's ribs neck you name it,his bike was a total rite off.
after that seems everything just got worse ,well cycling and camping wise that is.
no i was not mentally prepaired for the next part of the tour the heavy rain three days in a row diden't help and the taught's of my buddy lying in the middle of the road in a bad way really wrecked my head. so i called it a day and made arrangements to get back home.
i haven't toured since i got back home but that's due mainly to weather,i hate bloody rain.
don't get me wrong touring is proberly the best way to see a country no doubt about that ,but it's all not a bunch of rose's.
anyway rant over hope the weather picks up soon,or there's a lot of top cycling stuff for sale.