View Single Post
Old 07-24-09, 09:21 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check on the building policy regarding bringing the bike indoors. Often buildings require that the bike be in a bag before entry which makes carrying around the bike a pain in the @ss. If you don't have to bag the bike and there are no/few steps that you need to carry the bike, then weight will be less of an issue since you can simply roll the bike while folded.

Given that you are below average in height, I would certainly test ride the model to ensure a good fit. Although the distances you plan on riding are short enough such that there is probably a decent amount of leeway.

IMO, if weight is going to be an issue, you are probably better with the Mu models. Otherwise, I would go with a Speed model. Remember to include the cost of accessories/lights/helmet in your budget, as well as, some bucks for a chainring if the stock gearing is too high for the hills. For what you describe, I would get a model with wide tires such as the Big Apple (Dahons do come with excellent tires).