View Single Post
Old 07-24-09, 09:41 AM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Valley Girl and Aura have some of my thoughts on this issue. Touring is all about now. If now is hard and not enjoyable, then do something to make it better. antokelly's experience just confirms my thoughts on touring in the rain. I ride day after day until it is forcast to rain. Then I take a rest day on the rainy day. If it is going to rain hard for several days, I likely would stay and enjoy my rest. It is one thing to crash your bike on slick roads, but mostly I don't like riding in the rain because cars can't see you well enough. Each mile is added pressure as the odds rack up. If I am riding and during the day and it happens to rain, then of course I finish the day in some fashion, but as a matter of practice I don't ride in the rain. But then, I usually have all of the time I want when I am touring and am not pressured by deadlines. That helps as well in reducing the stress whenever something unforseen happens.

My last tour it took me about three days to get into my touring mindset where I no longer think of tomorrow, only the countryside that is unfolding in front of me. Where is my next turn, my next meal, where am I going to sleep tonight. All else is just a bother for me. When I get a flat tire, I look for a shady place that I can sit, relax, change the tire and enjoy the scenery.

Good post antokelly.