Thread: Tapping cars
View Single Post
Old 02-24-05, 06:49 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
I wrestle with this, as well, and I fully understand your concerns. However, how DO we constructive, tactfully, and assertively educate offending motorists? Deep inside, no one really takes kindly to being corrected, even when in the wrong,
I agree, it is a difficult dilemma that I admit I don't have an answer to. In moments of anger, I have resorted to internationally recognized single finger salutes that convey the message, but have no positive impact... In moments of self-restraint I may just wave my hand in a "palms up" manner as if to ask, "What was up with that bone head move?" I may feel better temporarily, but I doubt either of these gestures make a lasting, constructive impact. I think that at times like these, the best I can hope for is to not antagonize the situation and to maybe get my point across without making it worse for the next cyclist the driver encounters down the road. If you find any good answers, I'm certainly willing to hear about them!