View Single Post
Old 07-25-09, 07:29 PM
Addison

Bikes: Madone 4.6,Salsa Casserole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lived in Vermont for the last 25 years untill moving across Lake Champlain to New York this past year. It really is an exceptional state in many ways. There are still only 620,000 or so residents, you see your state senators and reps on a daily basis in the grocery stores etc. In fact, it is still easy to contact the Washington contingent (Leahy, Sanders and Welch). How many people can say they have that much access to their politicians? Crime is low, schools are exceptional though costly. There is something inherent in the fiber of Vermonters that seperate them from the rest of New England. Having been a seperate entity from the U.S. early on, they have developed a strong identity that questions central authority. Historically, Vermont has been an agricultural based culture verses New Hampshires more northern industrial background, hence the liberalism as contrasted to the real conservative bent of New Hampshire ,i.e capitalism etc. Although things are changing, I'm trying to give some background. Maine has always intrigued me and seems to blend the two others quite well given its size. As far as bicycling goes, I have to say that Vermont roads are not the best as residents travel far to work and drive fast on roads that are not well maintained and have narrow shoulders. Currently, I'm still working in Vermont but have moved to the Adirondack region of New York. The cycling is just great, I can go for 30 mile rides and only see 8-10 cars and be on good roads. I've also got Lake Champlain across the street (cheaper on this side then in Vermont) for sailing , so life is ok but I am remiss that I am no longer a Vermonter and to have given up those green license plates.